Why I Love this Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes Recipe
When I add dairy-free mashed potatoes to my Mindful Elimination Program meal plan I typically get a lot of questionable faces! People cannot believe that mashed potatoes could be a healthy eating program meal plan!
I am here to tell you it can be, and it is my friends! I love white potatoes, and I think they can be a comforting and hearty food. The key is to take out the inflammation-causing products in them and create a version full of healthier ingredients.
I promise these dairy-free mashed potatoes are so good, people can never tell the difference. I strongly believe you can live a healthy life without giving up the foods you love, it is all about the ingredients that you use.
This recipe is one of the meals that’s part of my Mindful Elimination Program. This program is my 40-day elimination diet and yoga fitness program. This is a great way to discover food intolerances and inflammatory eating that has upset your gut, hormones, caused excess weight, and low energy.
To get a better idea of what the mindful elimination program is all about you can get my 5 MOST POPULAR mindful eating recipes for FREE! This plan includes what you need eat for each meal and links to recipes that help keep your hormones in balance.
Why Potatoes Are Part of My Healthy Eating Plan
I used to think white potatoes were “bad” for me. I learned somewhere along the line that their starchiness meant that if I wanted to be healthy and thin, then I should never have white potatoes.
Eating mindfully has taught me a lot about how distorted my views of health were, and I was only on a “think-thin” plan for a long time. Once I started tapping deeper into how I felt, and less about counting and numbers, I started realizing that potatoes served a purpose in my life- and that was that I loved them and I feel good when I eat them.
That is enough for me to keep them on my menu about once or twice a week. Potatoes are rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin A. My favorite fun fact is that potatoes are anti-inflammatory!
Potatoes help to reduce inflammation in the body. That must be why I always feel so good after eating potatoes, never bloated or gassy.
Because they are starchy, I do not suggest eating them every day, but eating potatoes using this dairy-free mashed potatoes recipe once a week or so can be good for you and can liven up your dinner plate!
Tips I Have Learned About Making Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes
This dairy-free mashed potato recipe is so delicious, my non-dairy friends and family never even realize they are eating dairy-free. One small note is just to be conscious of the consistency while you mash.
Do not over whip or you may not have the consistency that you desire. Feel free to add a bit more ghee to taste depending on your level of buttery potato preference. I always do a taste test before serving!
Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
- 2.5lbs of russet potatoes
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons of ghee
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ cup of unsweetened coconut milk (look for sulfite-free)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and then cut into one-inch pieces.
- Place them in a large pot and fill the pot with water until the potatoes are
- Bring the water to boil.
- Allow the potatoes to boil for about 15 minutes, until soft. (check this just by piercing the potatoes with a fork)
- Once they are soft, strain the potatoes using a colander. Allow them to sit in the colander for a few minutes to allow any residual water to drain.
- In your same pot, heat the ghee on low heat until melted.
- Add the garlic and sauté for just a few minutes.
- Pour the potatoes back in the pot.
- Add the chicken stock and coconut milk. Sprinkle with a fair amount of salt and pepper.
- Using a mixer (or you can use a hand masher) slowly whip the potatoes mixing all the ingredients until the potatoes are smooth.
- If the potatoes seem dry or lumpy, try adding a bit more chicken broth.
- Taste for salt and pepper and add as needed!
Before you go, you can learn more about the way I lost 30 lbs and eat without counting anything through my Mindful Elimination Program. Or, click here to get my 5 MOST POPULAR mindful eating recipes for FREE!