Why I love these Dairy-Free Green Beans with Crispy Bacon
- This dairy-free green beans with crispy bacon recipe is one of my favorite vegetable side dishes to make and eat. Green beans and bacon remind me homecooked family meals on Sunday, and memories of cooking with my mom as a child.
- I have always considered green beans with bacon comfort food and soul food. This dairy-free version is just as delicious as grandma used to make, but definitely healthier. This dish pairs well with almost any protein, so they are a great go-to in my home.
- I use this recipe as part of my dairy-free diet and it is always a hit with my Mindful Elimination Program participants. This program is my 40-day elimination diet and yoga fitness program. This is a great way to discover food intolerances and inflammatory eating that has upset your gut, hormones, caused excess weight, and low energy.
- I especially like them to accompany my pulled pork recipe for a well-rounded easy meal that my whole family loves. You can click here to grab this recipe, plus 4 others for FREE.
Why these Dairy-Free Green Beans with Crispy Bacon are a part of my Mindful Eating Plan
- Green beans are a part of my Mindful Eating Plan for so many reasons, they are full of dietary fiber, they contain a ton of vitamin C and can help prevent osteoporosis and heart disease.
- They are also a great source of folate and other B vitamins which makes them a great choice for expecting mothers.
- On top of being packed with vitamins, green beans are also full of minerals such as calcium, iron, and potassium and are a good source of protein to give you lots of energy.
- Green beans are also a low FODMAP food, meaning they are low in undigested carbs that can lead to gas, stomach pain and constipation.
- This recipe for green beans is dairy free! In this recipe we sub ghee which is butter that has been cooked down and the dairy proteins removed, or you can use olive oil. Either of these choices make the beans a much healthier version than using butter, butter alternative that probably contains preservatives and soy bean oil, and vegetable oil that provides less good fat and is inflammation causing.
Tips for cooking these Dairy-Free Green Beans with Crispy Bacon
- When buying fresh green beans, look for beans that are bright green with no black spots on them, they should be able to snap as opposed to being flimsy in your hand. Also look for lumps, bumps, or wrinkles, as this could mean overripe or old green beans.
- The fresher the better! Try to avoid canned beans as canning can remove some of the health benefits and add lots of unwanted additives and preservatives. If you do pick up fresh beans but don’t want to cook them right away, you can simply store them in your freezer for a few days until you are ready for them.
- Cooking with fresh vegetables can seem intimidating when you first start, especially since many of us grew up only eating canned vegetables. But they only take a few minutes longer to cook, and offer so many more health benefits. It is so worth it!
Dairy-Free Green Beans with Crispy Bacon
3/4 pounds green beans, trimmed
3 strips sugar-free, hormone-free
1/4 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 clove garlic, crushed
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
Using a pot and steamer basket, boil water and steam green beans until tender (about 4 minutes).
While green beans cook, add bacon to a frying pan and fry until golden brown and slightly crisp.
When bacon has finished cooking, stir in garlic and salt and cook until garlic browns slightly. Remove from heat.
Drain water from the steamed beans and rinse with cold water if desired.
Add all the ingredients into a bowl and mix to combine.
Serve with all your favorite main dishes.
- After cooking, save your leftovers in the refrigerator using a sealed container! If you are wanting to make this recipe ahead of time to bring to a family dinner or potluck, you can do that too! Simply boil your beans like normal, after you remove them from the heat, make sure to dunk your beans in ice cold water. Then before serving, stir your ingredients in like usual and dish them up!
- My family loves these green beans with any meal, they are sure to be your new favorite side dish! Everyone will be impressed with how delicious these green beans are, and even more impressed once you tell them how easy they are to make.
Before you go, you can learn more about the way I lost 30 lbs and eat without counting anything through my Mindful Elimination Program. Or, click here to get my 5 MOST POPULAR mindful eating recipes for FREE!