Why I Love this Dairy-Free Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles
This dairy-free shrimp scampi with zucchini noodles meal has a few of my go-to cooking methods, and it is so delicious. First, it is in ONE POT! Any mom out there gets how much this helps out. Secondly, this shrimp scampi sauce cooks quickly! This is a great recipe you can easily throw together when you get home from after-school activities and it is ready for the family in about the time it
takes for everyone to wash-up. Thirdly, it is so delicious, you do not even realize that you are eating a dairy-free version of shrimp scampi.
Why Shrimp Are Part of My Healthy Eating Plan
Shrimp are a great addition to your list of protein sources. If you live near a coast or the gulf like me, then they can be a very reasonably priced protein to buy. I love buying locally sourced foods.
Shrimp have many health benefits. I consider them to be anti-inflammatory and are known to aid in the prevention of degenerative diseases, cancers, Alzheimer’s Disease, and reduces the risk of cardiovascular issues.
Plus, shrimp are a low in fat and calories and higher in protein which makes for a great healthy ratio for eating often.
I almost always include one to two shrimp meals on my Mindful Elimination Program. This is my anti-inflammation food program that combines an elimination diet, mindful living, yoga, and meditation for big lifestyle changes! Living this way has helped me lose 30lbs and feel the best I have ever felt in my life!
I also love to tell clients to include shrimp into their healthy eating plan if they are not big seafood eaters. Fish is very healthy but some people just aren’t into the flavor. Shrimp is a much milder alternative seafood protein that doesn’t have that same “seafood flavor”. Plus is super easy to cook!
I also love zucchini noodles! Or zoodles as some people like to say. They are my go-to grain-free option for serving pasta dishes. I love zucchini noodles because they don’t overpower the meal with their flavor. Just like regular pasta, they tend to just take on the same flavor as the dish they are in. Plus they keep a nice consistency that stays strong like pasta. Zucchini noodles twirl up on your fork just like real pasta. I never feel like I am missing out on anything when I substitute zucchini noodles!
Tips I Have Learned About Making Dairy-Free Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles
The most important part of this recipe is to not overcook the shrimp! Shrimp cook fast! This is part of why I love this dairy-free shrimp scampi recipe, but overcooked shrimp are chewy and flavorless. Overcooking the shrimp can definitely ruin the dairy-free shrimp scampi with
zucchini noodles dish.
Watch for the shrimp to turn pink. It only takes two to three minutes per side and they are done!
It is so easy, and so deliciously quick!
Zucchini Noodles cook down. So I always cook more than I think that we need. My husband and I can each eat about 2-3 zucchinis when we make this, just to give you an idea. So even though it starts off as a lot of zucchini noodles, it will not be that much after cooking. My rule is to always make more spiralized zucchini noodles than I think I need.
Dairy-Free Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles Ingredients:
- 1lb of shrimp
- 1/3 cup if chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of ghee
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 small pinch of red pepper flakes
- Olive Oil
- 5-6 Zucchini, spiralized or 1 bag of zucchini noodles
Instructions for the Dairy-Free Shrimp Scampi
- Melt the ghee in a skillet over medium heat
- Add garlic and saute for about one minute
- Add the broth, salt, pepper, and red pepper to the pan and let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes
- Add in the shrimp. Let the shrimp cook for about 2 minutes on one side then flip them and allow them to cook for about 2 minutes on the other side. They should be pink in color. Do not overcook!
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve over the zucchini noodles
Instructions for the Zucchini Noodles
- Spiralize the zucchini into noodles
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan.
- Add the zucchini noodles, frequently tossing with tongs for about 3-4 minutes. This will get them al dente.
- You can add a drizzle more of oil at the end. Toss well.
- Serve under the Dairy-Free Shrimp Scampi.